As of version 126.96.36.199, the VIPRE Business Console has the ability to protect Hyper-V Machines without the need to install an Agent locally.
This is done installing a "Hyper-V Agent" on the machine hosting the VMs themselves. Guest machines can then be scanned through this Agent instead of requiring the Full Installation on each VM.
Note: Click Here if you're installing the Hyper-V Agent on a Windows Core Server 2008 / 2012 R2
Setting up the Default Hyper-V Policy
- Open the VIPRE Business Console and double-click "Default Hyper-V Policy"
- Confirm the Policy Server is set to the address of the VIPRE Business Console
- Expand "Exceptions" and select "Exclusions"
- Add the following exclusions depending on environment:
Installing the Hyper-V Host Agent:
- Open the VIPRE Business Console
- Select "Agent Installation" at the upper left
- Select "Create Hyper-V MSI Installer Package"
- Select "Create Installer" and save the resulting MSI file
- Run this MSI File on the Hyper-V Host System
All VMs hosted on this system should move to the "Default Hyper-V Policy" once this installation completes.
Protecting the Guest Machines on the Hyper-V Host:
- Navigate to the "Default Hyper-V Policy"
- Select Protect Now in the VM's "Status" column
- Double-click "Default Hyper-V Policy" and enable Active Protection (Optional)
Note: There is no Tray Icon for Guest Agents
- Any actions requiring a Reboot only take effect if the restart was prompted by the VIPRE Console
- Click Here for Hyper-V Agent Removal Instructions