When troubleshooting Agent installation or communication issues, Telnet can be used to test connectivity to the Console after confirming the intended policy's communication information.
Using Telnet to Confirm an Agent can Contact the Console:
- Open the VIPRE Business Console
- Right-click the Intended Policy and select "Properties"
- Navigate to the "Communication" page to the left
Confirm the Policy Server and Update Server are both correct
- The Policy / Update fields should match unless an Update Server is used
If the Agent System is running Windows Vista or later, Telnet may need to be enabled:
- Microsoft TechNet: How to Enable the Telnet Client
- Open an Administrative Command Prompt on the Agent system
- Enter "telnet ConsoleAddress 18082" using the address of the system hosting the Console
Note: ConsoleAddress refers to the Policy Server field confirmed in Step 4